Saturday, October 12, 2013

Amazing Floors

How often have you walked into a stately home or church and looked up at the ceilings?



So many times I've walked in and gone WOW!


How many times have you looked down at your feet and really taken notice of the floors?
So often in crowded touristy places it's difficult to see the floors too.







Well the quilting retreat week in Burgandy really opened my eyes. If you live in an area where it is common to have patterns in the floor tiles, have you ever considered using it as a basis for a quilt. I certainly hadn't so I have to thank Chris Porter for opening my eyes.
Here are some floors in venice. Many were taken without flash using my phone, so the quality is not great.

  






Tumbling blocks anyone?

Snowball blocks and tumbling blocks


Chris' inspiration came from the tiles in Venice. Happily I had 2 days there a week or so after my week of sewing. I was primed and ready to look all around me. I now think Venice has overtaken Paris as my favourite european city. Beautiful, easy to escape the crowds, good food and no cars. Bliss for a wandering tourist.


not a great photo, amazing flying geese around the outside and chevrons in the centre


Simple square in square and bigger squares
i have no idea how to piece this, mad foundations somehow?


 this is in Chris' book. I never knew marble could be so colourful



And now for some complete quilt top ideas!







I hope that I have given you some piecing inspiration.


No comments: